Monday, February 18, 2008

none

The trip through town yesterday was another wonder in itself. We walked across the bridge and off the island to an area of buildings filled with little rooms with individual vendors. Like a flea market but indoors. What we were looking for we found one back on the island tucked away on a back shelf. Through much broken communication the store owner went in the back, we followed, there was a new one still in a box. We took it. The owner was so happy with our big purchase she went through great lengths to wrap it and tie for us to carry. We continued to work through the stores seeing what they had so when we received Mayleah we could return later. We went to Lucy's for lunch. It's an americanized restaurant that plays 80's music. Our group gave us the job of trying different places to eat so when they show up on Friday we know where they can go.
Jack showed up on time and we went over some preliminaries then we got in the van. The traffic was very congested. It amazes me you don't see people on bikes laying on the streets. Clark Griswold would be elated with the number of potential victims.

We pulled off a main street down an alley and went into a building up to the 10th floor. As we exited the elevator there were many people we recognized and some we had already talked to. We set our stuff down as I expected to wait a bit for Mayleah. I had my camera out and as we were talking there she was, standing off to my side with her caregiver. We had sent Mayleah a care package two months ago with pictures of us and our family with a pink silk blanket and a stuffed animal. It was obvious the orphanage had been working with her because she knew who we were. She took to Chris immediately which I was very thankful for. Chris was wrapped up with Mayleah and speaking to the care giver so I stood filming and watching our personal items. One of the little girls was having a very difficult time, they took her back into the room and she returned calmed down but when they handed her over to her new mom again she lost it. You could see the hurt on the mom's face, it was something we were warned about. We had to present our adoption letter and passports, they almost looked at them, and then handed over the money and we were gone. We rode down with a family who had adopted a 10 year old girl and you could see the fear on her face. The brought with them their son and their previously adopted Chinese daughter but she was stilll in shock.

I was wondering what Mayleah must be thinking as we were driving back. She was not to receptive to me and I knew that may be a possibility. Her and Chris were bonding quite well. We got back to our room and did more paperwork for today's appointment. This is where we get all the legal stuff done and pay the last of the money, it will be nice to have that gone, been carrying it with me since we left. I discovered quickly Mayleah hordes the food. When she was on the bed I held open the bag of gold fish crackers and she plunged her little hand in and came out with a handful. She was eating them for awhile and I did the same with some M & M's. She held them with the Vulcan death grip and found out that they do melt in your hand. I took one of them out of the bag and put it to her mouth and she bit my fingers, she does have nice teeth, that question was answered. She still did not make alot of eye contact. I would catch her looking into a mirrow on an angle towards me. I was rubbing her back while on the bed and she started to lean more into me. Chris sent me with a " list" to fill for diapers and other things while she gave her a bath. She loved the bath. We were going to go out today and get shoes but mom wanted to do that last night so off we went. Mayleah has no problem walking. We found her some nice shoes and came back to the hotel and went to the playroom. When we walked in there was one other little girl in there, Mayleah said something to her and they stood by each other. The parents were first time parents and their daughter was from the same orphanage. She was wearing a "Fish Town" t-shirt. Parents have a summer home in Suttons Bay. We held hands and sang "It's a small world" and watched our kids play. When we came back upstairs Mayleah spent alot of time in front of a mirror playing with the ball and rocking back and forth on her new shoes.

We put her to bed and by 8:30 we were all off to sleep. I didn't get up until 5:30 so it was nice to sleep past 2:00. I heard her cry out a couple of times but not very long. From what we have been told they don't get tended to during the night so they learn not to cry long.

Chris just got Mayleah up. She is definitely small. They called us last night to see if everything was alright and wanted to know if we wanted to keep her. I giggled. We will take her down to breakfast and begin our day. Have a great one yourself.

Ken

2 comments:

Jill Corwin said...

Thanks for posting. We can't wait to meet her!

sweetisu said...

Came over here from Jill's blog.

Congratulations to both of you. Mayleah is darling!