Monday, February 18, 2008

This is one of the first big smiles from her. Up until this point she would look at me and scrunch her nose but this is the first big smile. We spent approximately 45-50 minutes total at the Civil Affairs office this morning. According to the Chinese government Mayleah is ours, completely. From here on out it is all USA paperwork to get her home. She is definitely coming out of her shell. She has even come up to Ken but is still quite reserved. She will come up to me with a smile if I put my hands out. She has a hard time initiating anything-for example, taking a drink, eating food. She waits for you to give it to her. She is getting better. We haven't even had her 24 hours and she is a different girl. There are quite a few families that are not traveling with us but have gotten their girls from the same orphanage. All of these girls have a preference for the dad's and won't even acknowledge the moms. This is very sad for the mom's. This is something that Ken has been praying for specifically that Mayleah would bond with me quickly and well. She definitely likes me. When she is in a group setting, like in the other pictures you can see her leaning into me. Sorry that these pictures are sideways but I can not figure out how to turn them. You will just have to get a kink in the next I guess. This picture below is Mayleah watching me get ready this morning. I was drying my hair and she just watched me. I am so ready to come home now that we have her. As far as I am concerned we can leave today. Not according to the US government. Oh, well. The food is interesting to say the least. Their eggs are runny, especially the boiled eggs. Their breads are all croissant consistency. The meat, well, let's just say questionable. Well, I hope you are enjoying the pictures. We are in love with this little girl. Chris

No comments: